Bringing hope to those affected by violence
In 1998, the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation was established to support women’s shelters and domestic violence prevention programs. Not content to simply write a cheque, Royal LePage set out to embed a philanthropic culture within its offices across Canada, engaging Royal LePage professionals to support more than 200 shelters in the communities in which they live and work.
Since that time, Royal LePage broker/owners, sales representatives and staff have helped to raise more than $24 million for the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, making it Canada’s largest public foundation dedicated exclusively to putting an end to domestic violence. Unfortunately, Royal LePage Shelter Foundation supporters continue to have good reason to contribute to the cause.
Did you know:
- Half of all women in Canada over the age of 16 have experienced at least one incident of sexual or physical violence.
- Each year in Canada, an estimated 362,000 children witness or experience family violence.
- On average, every six days in Canada a woman is murdered by her intimate partner.
This is why women’s shelters serve a vital role in our communities and why Royal LePage offices and agents raise funds for their local women’s shelter in a variety of ways, including:
- Donating a portion of their commissions;
- Organizing unique and entertaining fundraising events;
- Donating and bidding generously in silent and live auctions; and
- Participating in the National Garage Sale for Shelter, a one-day charity garage sale which has taken place over the past nine years, raising $2,650,000.
The Royal LePage Shelter Foundation also raises the profile of services available to women seeking help. Funds raised at the national level allow the foundation to support initiatives like sheltersafe.ca, a 24/7 online connection to shelters across Canada which serves thousands of women annually and run violence programs in schools throughout Canada. In talking about an issue that is too often hidden behind closed doors, Royal LePage professionals are helping build awareness that domestic violence should not be tolerated and that there is hope for healing and new beginnings after violence.
I am proud to be a supporter of the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation. I donate a portion of my revenues and sales commissions from every purchase or sale transaction to the Shelter Foundation. It’s the right thing to do and I’m hoping that together we can help people create lives for themselves and their children that are free from violence and filled with hope rather than fear.